[cma-l] Ofcom publishes reasons for the award of four new community radio...

Stevensuttie at aol.com Stevensuttie at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 16:34:51 GMT 2008

Hi Alan and other correspondents to this debate,

I'm surprised that the "level playing field" chestnut has been dragged into
the discussion.

Surely the "third tier" "social gain" "voluntary" sector AKA Community  Radio
is supposed to be a new and unique new medium that not only empowers small
communities with their own voice and offers individuals life changing new
opportunities...and is worlds apart from the "business" of playing todays best
music?

Naturally, our stations have a common ground in that we share the same
broadcasting platform - but a proper community station that is run with  social
gain in mind is not going to cause a commercial operator worth its salt  any
hardship...take my advertisers for instance - a taxi firm, a hair salon, a  bingo
hall, a local website etc etc. None of these businesses would dream of
approaching commercial radio for these 2 reasons:
1: Too expensive
2: Not Geographically relevant

So surely the debate should now focus on these quasi-commercial operators
masquerading as a community station. We know who they are...and perhaps it is
them who can share some of the blame for upsetting the commercial radio
marketplace.

I agree with the points made thus far - including Alans...but a level
playing field it will never be, and I for one like that fact.

Sure, the Government under-estimated interest in community radio. But lets
embrace that fact and use it as a tool for greater recognition. I too try to
sleep at night with a question mark hanging over my financial future - but
still  I work 80 odd hours per week. I do fear that good-will can run out and feel
that  developing a "its not fair" attitude will not help.

Perhaps the CMA would like to build a comprehensive report on the amazing
work we are doing. This could include details of outputs, monitoring community
value and case studies on our most successful volunteers who join with no
sense  of worth and end up working at the BBC. We all know its wonderful so lets
not  get down hearted - lets work towards having our very own seperate playing
field.

OFCOM could start by protecting commercial operators with one simple clause
in the community license:
"No operator shall employ any broadcasters on the station."

Thats what I reckon.

Kindest Regards
Steve Suttie
Station Manager, 94.4FM  Salford City Radio
0161 793 2939 (Office) 07772  355852 (Mobile)

CHECK OUT_  www.salfordcityradio.org_ (http://www.salfordcityradio.org/)