[cma-l] Ofcom publishes reasons for the award of four new community radio licences

Marilyn Hyndman marilyn at northernvisions.org
Wed Mar 5 15:46:21 GMT 2008

Send reply to:	<campaigns at adbusters.org>
Subject:	The Fight for Media Democracy Goes On
From:	Culture Jammers Network <jammers at lists.adbusters.org>
To:	Culture Jammers Network <jammers at lists.adbusters.org>
Date sent:	Tue,  4 Mar 2008 17:48:17 -0800 (PST)

------------------------------------
WWW.ADBUSTERS.ORG
------------------------------------

PRESS COMMUNIQUE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Adbusters Demands Canwest, the CBC and the CRTC Stop Blocking
Citizen-Produced Advertising
On Monday, February 18, Adbusters lost its court battle against two of
Canada's television networks that refused to sell airtime for its
commercials.
Adbusters claimed the CBC and Canwest Global had violated its right to
free
speech under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms by refusing to
sell air time, but the court decided that the Charter does not apply
to private
corporations.
"It's outrageous that the fast food, oil and automobile industries can
buy as
much TV time as they want in order to promote their agendas, but
citizens
are not allowed to talk back," said Adbusters Editor-in-Chief Kalle
Lasn in
response to the ruling. "Canadian democracy will not work properly
until we
the people have the same right to buy airtime as corporations do."
The rejected Adbusters ads pointed out that over 50 percent of the
calories
in a Big Mac come from fat, called for an end to the age of the
automobile,
and promoted Buy Nothing Day. While Court Justice William Ehrcke ruled
that private broadcasters have the right to run whatever ads they like,
Adbusters feels the case raises some troubling questions.
Firstly, why are Canwest and the CBC selling as much time as they
possibly
can to corporations, while fighting expensive legal actions to keep
citizen-
produced messages off the air? Why does the CBC call itself "Canada's
Public Broadcaster" if they won't sell airtime to citizens?
Secondly, why is the CRTC not standing up for public access? When they
grant licences to broadcasters, why is the right of Canadian citizens to
access their own "public" airwaves not being guaranteed? Thirdly, why
is our
freedom of speech being suppressed? Why can corporations buy airtime
while citizens cannot? Why doesn't the Canadian Charter apply to the
most
powerful social communications medium of our age - television?
"This case goes to the very heart of what our democracy is all about,"
says
Lasn. "A healthy society allows its citizens to walk into their local
TV stations
and buy airtime under the same rules and conditions that corporations
do.
Adbusters has been given 30 days to challenge the ruling. This legal
battle
for media democracy will go on."
To talk to Kalle Lasn, or Ryan Dalziel, our lawyer, about the case
please
contact Lauren Bercovitch (lauren at adbusters.org)
EDITOR'S NOTES
For more information about Adbusters and the global media democracy
movement visit www.mediacarta.org and www.adbusters.org
[1] Canadian Media facts:
Three corporations (CanWest, Quebecor and Torstar) control 70 per cent
of
the country's daily newspaper circulation.
Five major media acquisitions in Canada have been approved by CRTC in
the past year: CHUM was purchased by CTVglobemedia for $1.4 billion,
which then sold five CityTV stations to Rogers Communications for $375
million; CanWest purchased Alliance Atlantis for $2.3 billion; Astral
Media
bought Standard Broadcasting for $1.2 billion; and Quebecor bought the
Osprey Media newspaper chain for $414 million.
[2] Facts about Media Democracy:
More than 30,000 people have signed the Media Carta www.mediacarta.org,
to voice their concerns about the way information is distributed in
our society.
In the past year, a growing number of grassroots media activist groups
have
been formed in Canada to express a dissatisfaction with the continued
consolidation of the country's media:
DemocraticMedia.org
MediaReform.ca
MediaDemocracy.ca

On 5 Mar 2008, at 15:08, Javed Sattar wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is so frustrating to know that certain stations are put under
> this strain. Since the first community radio station has come on and
> those that have followed, I’m sure no local commercial station along
> side CR stations in their area has gone under.
> Like any business it’s all about delivering a product and surviving.
> Had the government been serious about this third sector it would
> have allocated funds that would have covered core costs: staffing,
> volunteer expenses etc.
>
> How many more community radio stations are going to go to the wall
> or go under before something is seriously done. If a community radio
> station is setup correctly; then they should be allowed to at least
> operate without this kind of handicap… it sometimes sounds like
> football clubs who can only buy or sell in the transfer window and
> then have to work with what they have for the rest of the season.
> Community radio is more than just community; it’s also a small
> business.
>
> Once again a so called commercial station who cant operate
> effectively as a commercial entity indirectly effecting hopes and
> aspirations of these new CR stations.
>
> In three months time my funding runs out for my post…and I will be
> looking for a job to pay my mortgage, put food on the table for my
> family, my wife asks me is this worth all the effort and time put in
> – what can I say to that, I’m totally dedicated to CR and the growth
> of this sector …and I hear so many others in the same boat. The
> station will survive as it has evolved since we have come on air but
> like others it struggles with acquiring the core funds needed etc.
> I fear that certain projects will really struggle because they don’t
> want any advertising, or might not be pushing advertising
> effectively. At least everyone should be allowed the chance to play
> on the same field.
>
> I pray no one goes under because of these limitations.
> What happens when CR stations get on Digital…what will the rules be
> then? I look with interest.
>
> Javed Sattar
> Project Manager
> <image001.jpg>
> Suite 3
> 64 Darnley Street
> Glasgow
> G41 2SE
>
> Office: 0141 420 6666
> Mobile: 07785 566898
> e: javed at awazfm.co.uk
> w: www.awazfm.co.uk
>

> <image002.gif>
> CMA Council Member
> http://www.commedia.org.uk/
>
> P SAVE PAPER - Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely
> necessary
>
> The information in this e-mail or any of its attachments is for use
> by the addressee(s) only.
> It may be confidential or contain privileged information or
> material. If you received this
> [...]

Marilyn Hyndman
Northern Visions/NvTv
23 Donegall Street
Belfast
BT1 2FF

Tel: 028 9024 5495
Fax: 028 9032 6608

NvTv
Belfast Community Television
Free-to-Air on Channel 62/Freq:799.276MHz
Live on line: www.nvtv.co.uk

www.northernvisions.org