[cma-l] Ofcom publishes reasons for the award of four new community radio licences

Javed Sattar javed at awazfm.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 15:08:49 GMT 2008

Hi

This is so frustrating to know that certain stations are put under this
strain. Since the first community radio station has come on and those that
have followed, I'm sure no local commercial station along side CR stations
in their area has gone under.

Like any business it's all about delivering a product and surviving. Had the
government been serious about this third sector it would have allocated
funds that would have covered core costs: staffing, volunteer expenses etc.

How many more community radio stations are going to go to the wall or go
under before something is seriously done. If a community radio station is
setup correctly; then they should be allowed to at least operate without
this kind of handicap. it sometimes sounds like football clubs who can only
buy or sell in the transfer window and then have to work with what they have
for the rest of the season. Community radio is more than just community;
it's also a small business.

Once again a so called commercial station who cant operate effectively as a
commercial entity indirectly effecting hopes and aspirations of these new CR
stations.

In three months time my funding runs out for my post.and I will be looking
for a job to pay my mortgage, put food on the table for my family, my wife
asks me is this worth all the effort and time put in - what can I say to
that, I'm totally dedicated to CR and the growth of this sector .and I hear
so many others in the same boat. The station will survive as it has evolved
since we have come on air but like others it struggles with acquiring the
core funds needed etc.

I fear that certain projects will really struggle because they don't want
any advertising, or might not be pushing advertising effectively. At least
everyone should be allowed the chance to play on the same field.

I pray no one goes under because of these limitations.

What happens when CR stations get on Digital.what will the rules be then? I
look with interest.

Javed Sattar

Project Manager

Suite 3

64 Darnley Street

Glasgow

G41 2SE

Office: 0141 420 6666
Mobile: 07785 566898
e: javed at awazfm.co.uk
w: www.awazfm.co.uk

CMA Council Member

http://www.commedia.org.uk/

P SAVE PAPER - Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary

The information in this e-mail or any of its attachments is for use by the
addressee(s) only.
It may be confidential or contain privileged information or material. If you
received this
e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete from your computer.
We cannot guarantee that any e-mail or attachment is virus free. No
liability or responsibility
is accepted for viruses and it is your responsibility to virus check this
e-mail and any attachments.
Opinions, comments and other information in this e-mail are solely those of
its author and are
neither given nor endorsed by the company. This e-mail and any response may
be monitored or
intercepted by the company for operational or business reasons.-----Original
Message-----