[cma-l] Listening figures

Tom Buckham t.buckham at nr5project.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 16:47:10 BST 2008

Hi Steven

Future Radio has been running a number of listener surveys over the past few years and recently we ran our second street survey in Norwich to try and answers those same questions re: how many listeners do you have?!

The first time round it was more of a struggle, but we ran the survey in autumn and people generally seemed less responsive. However we still ended up with 140 responses which proved enough to get a relatively accurate report (anything under a 100 isn't really worth using I would suggest). However when we ran the survey at the end of April this year we were lucky with the weather and ended up getting 500+ responses so the level of accuracy of our current results is likely to be much improved.

We tried to keep the survey relatively short to try and increase the number of responses we could get and we targeted Norwich city centre on a Friday and Saturday lunch period in the same week (busy times essentially). We spread people around the city as well to try and cover as wide an area as possible. The results came back with answers like 23.9% listened to us (with varying regularity) and 89% thought Norwich benefited from having a community radio station (all useful information for potential advertisers and funders).

I know the University of Bedford have looked into audience research as part of their radio courses and we spoke at length with them before planning our own research, we'd be happy to talk to other stations about what we've found so far. We also run online feedback surveys every 6 months which are more aimed at feedback on programming output and particular shows.

All the best

Tom Buckham

Station Manager

Future Radio
NR5 Project
The Neighbourhood Centre
168b Motum Road
Norwich
NR5 8EG

http://www.futureradio.co.uk
http://www.nr5project.co.uk

Registered charity number 113200
E-Mail Disclaimer - Please Read

Confidentiality:

This email is confidential and intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. Access to this email and any attached files by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose it, copy it, distribute it, or take any action based on its contents. Please reply and highlight the error.

Security:

Please note that Internet email is not a fully secure method of communication. You should be aware of this lack of security when emailing us.