[cma-l] CMA Draft response to DCMS Consultation

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 15:21:55 BST 2008

Dear all

PLease find below the CMA Draft response to the DCMS Consultation on
Community Radio.  We would welcome your views on additions/amendments to
the response.

We also urge you to put in your own responses (NB you do not have to be
a licensed station in order to respond - the more responses the better).
  If you want to do it online, you can use the link below to send in
your response.

http://consult.commedia.org.uk/

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Jaqui

Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

COMMUNITY MEDIA ASSOCIATION

Response to DCMS Consultation on Community Radio

On the whole the Community Media Association supports the DCMS’s

We recognise that some parts of the community radio sector would like
the 50% cap on funding from any single source (including on air
advertising and sponsorship) removed, but this is by no means a
universal view.  The CMA is mindful of the importance that stations
maintain their community focus and are not open to any charge of undue
influence.  We do welcome though a further review of this issue in two
years’ time.  We also welcome the addition of some volunteer time as
part of the income mix, for those stations that want to include this as
part of their turnover figures.

There are three areas where the CMA has continuing concerns:

Licence Durations and Extensions - With regard to licence durations and
extensions, we are concerned that extensions of licences would only be
as a one off five year period.  The sector would like reassurance that
existing stations would be able to reapply at the end of that further
licensing period.  With regard to the extension of licences possibly
being shorter than five years, we are aware of and are involved in the
work of the Digital Radio Working Group which will report to the
Secretary of State at the end of 2008.  We will continue to make every
effort to ensure that community radio continues as part of the radio
ecology whether on analogue or digital platforms.

Economic Impact Assessments – The current requirement for Ofcom to carry
out an economic impact assessment when considering licensing new radio
stations is inequitable – it is only required when considering a new
community radio licence and the impact such a station might have on any
local commercial service, there is no provision for considering the
economic impact on a community radio station by issuing a commercial
licence in the same area.  The requirements for carrying out economic
impact assessments when having regard to issuing new community or
commercial licences should be aligned. Either there should be economic
impact assessments when considering new licences for both community and
commercial stations, or there should be no economic impact assessments
at all. We would favour the latter, although we would want a system in
place to allow any current operators to know that licences were going to
be issued in their areas.
Restrictions on licensing community radio stations/restrictions on
on-air advertising and sponsorship – In the Future of Radio
consultations two important aspects for community radio were not
included for consideration as part of the review of community radio.
These are the restrictions precluding the licensing of a community radio
station where the service would overlap with a commercial station whose
measured coverage area (MCA) includes 50,000 adults or fewer and the
complete ban on on-air advertising and sponsorship for any community
radio station which would overlap with a commercial station whose MCA
includes fewer than 150,000 adults.  These restrictions are based on an
assumption that a community radio station would under those
circumstances impact negatively on the viability of the commercial
service in the area.  We urge DCMS and Ofcom to undertake at the
earliest opportunity a proper analysis of whether this really is the
case and to review whether these restrictions are fair and valid.

Community Radio Fund:

DCMS poses two further questions as part of its consultation.

Questions

1. Do you agree that the DCMS allocation of funding via Ofcom’s
Community Radio Fund should continue to be reserved to support core costs?

CMA response:  Many stations support the allocation of the CRF for
stations’ core costs.  However we are concerned that the size of the
fund at present is only able to support a fraction of the core costs of
a very few stations each year.  Anthony Everitt proposed in 2003 that
the Fund should be around £4 million.  We would propose a much larger
fund than that – particularly as community radio and the wider community
media sector delivers on many of the government’s cross cutting themes
and Public Service targets across a wide range of departments.

2. Do you agree that DCMS should retain a portion of the Community Radio
Fund to provide direct funding to support wider sectoral development and
sustainability projects?

The CMA would argue that some form of central coordination, advocacy and
representation for the sector, with government, Ofcom and regional and
local government is vital to the sector’s future development and
increasing sustainability.  The CMA has a three year work plan in place
to enable this to happen:

http://www.commedia.org.uk/news-amp-press/news-items/cma-draft-three-year-workplan-give-us-your-feedback/

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities