[cma-l] Fwd: PMSE and TV

Dave Rushton local.tv at virgin.net
Thu Jul 31 13:52:35 BST 2008

 > Dear CMA List

Suggestion in response to Ofcom's 16th October deadline on the radio
microphone PMSE consultation. This is the consultation identifying
spectrum at a suitable scale for many community radio stations to
feel comfortable with, coincidentally the PMSE lobby has forged a
monopoly use. Following drafted with Public Voice.

 > We recognise the critical importance of wireless microphones and
 > other short range wireless devices for the production of live and
 > recorded entertainment including the performing arts, broadcasting,
 > news gathering, film and independent production, corporate events,
 > concerts, night venues and sports events.  Events such as these
 > including Live 8, Proms in the Park and Sports Relief are often
 > crucial in bringing the nation together, and can bring wide social
 > gain. Access to interleaved spectrum is essential for the continued
 > production of world-class entertainment. However, PMSE can also be
 > used on a small scale for community fundraising events, bringing
 > communities together.  We welcome Ofcom's recognition of the PMSE
 > sector's inability to compete in a spectrum auction and the need
 > for a band manager to coordinate spectrum usage. However, we are
 > concerned that Ofcom's guarantees to PMSE users for temporary
 > access to interleaved analogue spectrum are unclear.
 >
 > We understand that there are 1152 television transmitters and
 > relays across the UK each with spectrum that can serve local
 > communities with small-scale television. Ofcom intends to appoint a
 > band manager whose primary responsibility to ensure radio
 > microphones have spectrum. Radio microphones do not need to use the
 > in-group part of the spectrum that is necessary in each area for
 > television reception. It would be a waste of broadcast friendly
 > spectrum should in-group spectrum be used in favour of radio
 > microphones rather than community and small-scale TV. This scale of
 > TV will flourish on community radio (RSL) and possibly longer term
 > license models. We therefore urge Ofcom to ensure that the band-
 > manager prioritises the use of the in-group bands in each area for
 > small scale TV, to devise terms of reference that balance TV access
 > with radio microphone use and appoint the band manager to support
 > community and small-scale TV, event TV, short-term and longer-term
 > TV alongside satisfying the PMSE demand.

Further information can be found at:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/07/nr_20080731 (News Release)

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/bandmngr/ (Consultation)

Dave Rushton