[cma-l] podcasts and royalty licences

tlr at gairloch.co.uk tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 13:42:15 BST 2008

<<Has anyone got their head around royalties on podcasts?>>

I don't know the specifics for Community stations. For commercially licensed stations we have a low-cost add-on to the blanket radio license for podcasts.I believe it was introduced by PPL as a stop-gap followin lobbying form radio companies, until something more long-term could be introduced and I suspect the next round of licence negotiations will cater for it.

So I guess it would be down to CR licencees or CMA on their behalf to negotiate somethign similar.

You may also be interested to know that at the Radio Festival conference in Glasgow earlier this week, PRS/MCPS announced that they were doing away with the 30s limit on recorded music item durations included in Podcasts. However, you still can't do "Best of..>" or "Featured album.." type shows because you can only have up to two tracks from one artist or one album per show

PRS/MCPS charge 8% of revenue from podcasts subject to a minimum of 0.15p per track, and also subject to a £50/quarter minimum.

Seems a good deal to me, now all you need is to get PPL to follow suit!

Alex