[cma-l] podcasts and royalty licences

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Fri Jul 4 12:10:18 BST 2008

Has anyone got their head around royalties on podcasts?

We'd dearly love to podcast some of our radio shows, but as almost
all have some recorded music element we'd either need to get a
licence, or spend time editing out the music (which isn't a realistic
option)

PPL tell me that they don't issue a podcast licence and we'd have to
contact each copyright holder individually.  That seems unrealistic.

PRS issue a licence, although I haven't yet fully understood the
implications of the limitations on downloads at the basic fee level.

So has anyone managed it - or do the licence restrictions put
podcasts with musci out of reach for small community stations?

Thanks

Julian

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
105.3fm
http://www.10radio.org

West St
Wiveliscombe
Somerset
TA4 2JP

Tel: 01984 624 137

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset, TA4 2JP
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252