[cma-l] Looking for a community media organisation working with teenagers in London

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 16:41:05 GMT 2008

Hi

I'm trying to find an organisation in London that works with teenagers,
to help with some research for School of Everything
(http://www.schoolofeverything.com). The Drum
(http://www.thedrum.org.uk/) helped with the Sheffield end of the
project, so it would be great to find a similar organisation in London.

School of Everything is an internet startup dedicated to informal
learning. We're building online tools to make it easy to find people
near you to learn with or from - as well as organising events where
people get together to share what they know. Our inspirations are the
Free University of Palo Alto and Ivan Illich's 'Deschooling Society',
and we've got this far thanks to the backing of the Young Foundation
(which carries on the work of Michael Young, founder of the Open
University).

Since November, we've been working with Channel4 Learning to look at
how teenagers might use the kind of tools we're building. The research
groups we ran in Sheffield were really helpful for our design process
- so we'd like to do something similar to get feedback on some of the
designs we've come up with and to learn more about the way teenagers
are using the internet generally.

We're looking for a group of around ten young people, aged 14 to 19,
to take part in a discussion lasting 45mins or so. If we can find an
organisation working with that age group which can also provide a
space for us to hold the discussion, we can pay for hire of the space
- and the young people will be paid for taking part.

We're very flexible in terms of times of day/week - just keen to
arrange something as soon as possible. Anyone who thinks they might be
able to help can get hold of me on 07810 650213, or by email:
dougald at schoolofeverything.com.

Cheers

Dougald
--