[cma-l] Profanity

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 12:09:16 GMT 2008

I'd echo Olly's point here about training. A full discussion about
Libel, Copyright and Contempt must be part of your training for every
presenter. It's kind of like asking someone to come and drive your car
without having read the highway code, they might know what all the
buttons in the car do but without the knowledge of the law of the road
they could be in trouble!

We run a briefing session before each RSL and will I am sure introduce
a rolling programme when we go full-time next year. It's so easy to
make mistakes if you don't know what the risks are and if you're truly
worried about libel then you will put procedures in place. Whilst not
a total defence if you've made sure that everyone is fully trained and
will refer matters of concern upwards and know that screening callers/
guests is important and also what to do if something does happen then
that will put you on the right side of the law.

As Olly says someone will only sue if they stand to gain something
from it, financial or otherwise. I can't see that being an issue for
you.

A delay may be useful but only if you plan controversial phone in
programmes, where people might swear etc But again it's down to
someone knowing when to push the button and the £1500+ these systems
can cost could be better spent somewhere else, like in training for
example.

All the best

Rich
Utopia FM