[cma-l] Profanity

Olly Benson ollybenson at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 22 11:36:06 GMT 2008

Hi Steven,

My experience (primarily from student radio) is that libel insurance is
a waste of money, on three counts.

One, the insurance is based on risk.  The risk is based on the
likelihood of your presenters saying something libellous.  Thus how do
you calculate that risk?  If the risk is high the premium is high (and
therefore a large proportion of your income); and if the risk is low
then the premium is low (and arguably pointless).  Having libel
insurance introduces a safety blanket for presenters; and therefore they
become more risk-careless ("its ok, we've got insurance if we say
something libellous").  Most student stations I worked with I suggested
that it was much more cost effective to do appropriate training rather
than take out libel insurance.

Secondly, the payout in libels is often decided based on the ability of
the claimant to pay.  Thus someone with a meagre income would be
expected to pay less than someone who had a large salary.  If you
introduce the concept of insurance; you increase the figure you would be
expected to payout in the case of libel.

Thirdly, no-one sues a charity.  The negative press would usually be far
more damaging than the original allegation.  In all my research of
student media, there was only one case of a libel action being bought
and that was dropped prior to going to going to court.  I would be
interested to know if there has been any libel action (more than a vague
threat of words) against community media.

What I would say, is as above, train your presenters about what is
libellous; and create a culture where a "could this be libellous?" is
referred up to senior management to make a decision. We shouldn't be
scared to criticise or highlight malpractice; but we should understand
the risks and take them as we would any other risk management.  And as a
management; understand libel and have a good *media* lawyer or senior
journalist as someone you can use as a sounding board.

And bear in mind contempt; which I actually think is a bigger risk to
community stations than libel.

Check out: http://www.rad10.com/news/so_sue_me/

On the profanity button... my personal feeling is that it is a waste of
money to build it in wholesale.  If there are specific times when you
think it might be important (eg coverage of a live event) then there are
techniques you can use to delay the sound but again it's much better to
build in prevention strategies than rely on someone remembering to hit a
button.  I'm not sure how many stations still actually use delay.

Olly