[cma-l] Radio likely to switch to digital by 2020

Clive Glover clive.glover at lineone.net
Fri Dec 12 15:01:55 GMT 2008

This really flies in the face of reality - assuming it is correct!

I have attended a couple of the wider DRWG meetings and it was
absolutely clear that there is no practical technical solution for
Community Radio and small commercial radio stations to migrate to DAB.
The main reasons being that the DAB coverage areas are far too large
in comparison with the existing coverage areas for such stations (for
example Radio Verulam in St Albans covers around 130,000 population
but our "local" DAB multiplex covers 1,800,000) and many smaller
stations (CR and commercial) are in rural areas where there are not
enough services to justify a DAB multiplex at all.

This then translates to money. We were offered space on the "local"
multiplex by the operator but at a cost far exceeding our annual
turnover for a pathetic low bitrate mono service. Unless there was to
be some huge subsidy for each and every small scale radio broadcaster
it simply can't be done.

And, unlike television, where it is assumed there are commercial
operators queueing up to get their hands on the spectrum released once
the analogue signals have been turned off, OFCOM and DCMS have
admitted there are no such people waiting for Band II frequencies. So
why not let the smaller stations stay on FM for as long as they want?
If the BBC and national & regional commercial stations all go to DAB
it will leave lots of extra frequencies for new CR (and pirate!)
stations and there will already be an installed base of 100% of homes
with FM receivers. Oh and lots of people will be complaining because
their favourite BBC or commercial service has moved to the new-fangled
digital radio... which is why the BBC won't just move R2, 3 & 4 to DAB
only in a hurry.

If the discussions I heard are still valid I assume there is probably
some small print within this report that says they are assuming some
new miracle digital technology (like OFCOM's Universal Radio) will
appear that will solve the technical problems by 2020!

Clive Glover