[cma-l] Digital Divide to become Digital Chasm?

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Mon Dec 8 15:51:32 GMT 2008

The new Communications Consumer Panel warns of a ‘digital chasm’ if
super-fast broadband is left to market forces alone:

A market-led approach to the roll out of super-fast broadband, known as
next generation access (NGA), would probably exclude 40% of the UK’s
population, Panel member Roger Darlington told the Next Gen 08
conference in Manchester.

He said that “it matters enormously at both a technical and social
level”. He warned that if NGA roll out was left to market forces alone
“today’s digital divide could become for many a digital chasm”. He spelt
out how this would deny people access to many vital services and
products such as telemedicine, local authority services and the ability
to run a business.

The Panel, Roger Darlington said, believes that “We must debate these
issues now…We see a case even now for introducing next generation
broadband in those areas, which are at present struggling to obtain
satisfactory performance levels of current generation broadband.”

http://www.communicationsconsumerpanel.org.uk/Roger%20Darlington%20Next%20Gen%2008%20Conference.pdf

If you would like to get updates from the Panel directly then contact Ofcom:

contact at communicationsconsumerpanel.org.uk

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities