[cma-l] Service Level Agreements in Community Radio

Murray Dawson murray at shmu.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 11:28:26 BST 2008

An appropriate time for this discussion for us at SHMU.

We've developed SLA's with our local authority, NHS Grampian, the
Scottish Govt. and generally they are developed together.
We value them, as they clearly set out the expectations of both parties
in terms of the agreed work, and also identify measures of both outputs
and outcomes.

The danger is when an SLA is imposed - a situation we've just found
ourselves in.
Over the last three months I've been working with an Officer in the
Council on the SLA to support the core costs of our organisation (which
in reality will be around 15% of our total income).
Having invested a significant amount of time throwing the document back
and forward, we finally agreed to the terms.
The Council then decided to send it to their solicitors in Edinburgh,
which I received a copy of yesterday.
The document bears no resemblance to the draft that was sent to them,
and includes a series of a ridiculous clauses, including one that would
allow the Council to evict us from the building with 2 days notice for
'being a nuisance'.
We're obviously not signing it, and are seeking legal advice.

I would suggest that all organisations seek legal advice (preferable
pro-bono).  As I said, I value SLA's, but they are legal documents and
you need to be happy with the content.

I'm happy to post previous versions of SLA's if that would be useful.

All the best,

Murray

please reply to
murray at shmu.org.uk

Murray Dawson
Project Director
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 515013

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live on 99.8FM and at www.shmufm.net

SHMU is a charity registered in Scotland - SC034211 and a registered Limited Company - SC332413

This message is not intended to have contractual effect