[cma-l] Service Level Agreements in Community Radio

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 10:45:57 BST 2008

Dear Julian

Remember that what you deliver on is reaching people (often erroneously
classed as "hard to reach") who are main target groups for local
authorities via the Local Strategic Partnerships and Local Area
Agreement partners.  Many of those do not listen to traditional
broadcasters.  So it is not so much about the "professional product" but
the reach you have.  There are ways of measuring impact, which is what
the client will want.  Encourage the listeners to tell the service
providers that they found out about the service because they listened to
you.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Jaqui

Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

Julian Mellor wrote:
> Having spoken to Sandra last week (and we're one of the stations
> struggling 'to do' SLAs) I had a conversation with the marketing
> manager of a local service partnership.  They'd been getting pitches
> from commercial radio, which he said were dire (obviously 'off the
> shelf' powerpoint, names spelt wrongly, little understanding of the
> client etc).  He thought that community radio could deliver awareness
> raising much more effectively (although given that he's also one of
> our presenters he would say that) and wants to try piloting something
> with us.
>
> I think for me the key issues are a) can we deliver a sufficiently
> professional product, given that we're all volunteers b) will we be
> able to demonstrate value for money to the client given our largely
> rural coverage and difficulties of measuring FM listeners c) will it
> be profitable and justify the effort.
>
> I'll let you know what happens.
>
> Julian
> >

> At 11:20 +0100 26/8/08, CMA-L wrote:

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities