[cma-l] Ofcom DDR event in Manchester

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Aug 21 15:46:56 BST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: Gavin Bower <Gavin.Bower at ofcom.org.uk>

Dear Colleague,

When the UK switches from analogue to digital television, a third of
the airwaves currently used for transmitting terrestrial television
will be freed up for new and innovative wireless services.

Awarding this 'digital dividend' is one of the most important tasks
facing Ofcom. We want to do it in a way that maximises the value that
we all get as citizens and consumers from using these new services.

Some of the airwaves being freed up are the 'white spaces' that exist
in locations between television transmitters. These could be used for
wireless services such as:

- new digital television channels aimed at most of the UK, a nation or
region or large cities, including Manchester;
- local TV;
- possibly mobile broadband or mobile TV services; and
- services for programme making and special events.

We have published proposals for how we might award these airwaves and
would like to explain them to interested stakeholders. We are
therefore inviting you to attend a seminar on Friday 12 September
2008.

Location:  Manchester Digital Development Agency, Lower Ground Floor,
117-119 Portland Street, Manchester, M1 6ED
(http://www.manchesterdda.com/directions/)

Time: 2.00-3.30 pm

To register your interest, please email stakeholder.events at ofcom.org.uk

We would be grateful for your response by Wednesday 10 September 2008
at the latest and look forward to hearing your views at the event.

You can read our proposals at:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ddrinterleaved/