[cma-l] Organising Engineers

Chris Weaver chris at resonancefm.com
Tue Apr 29 15:13:02 BST 2008

Dear List,

More and more of my time seems to be spent organising and co-ordinating
volunteers and sorting out shift rotas and generally trying to juggle
engineering gaps.

I'm writing to ask what other stations working / organisational methods
are for essentially ensuring adequate amounts engineering staff. I
should qualify the term "engineer" as someone who is looking after the
broadcasts, running the desk, loading the playout systems etc.

The system here at Resonance is that we have three engineers a day with
overlapping 5-hour slots. They are independent from any programmes but
will run the desk for shows if need be and will set up bands/live music,
and at the end of the broadcast day (1AM) tidy and lock up.

Do other stations have a single engineer per show (provided by said
show) or a system similar to ours?

Chris W
--
Chris Weaver