[cma-l] Fwd: Finding a Voice - Community Radio: role, practice and sustainability Thurs 1 May 2008

local.tv at virgin.net local.tv at virgin.net
Mon Apr 14 15:59:37 BST 2008

Fwd:

From: "Aplin J S (CCI)" <jsaplin at GLAM.AC.UK>

Finding a Voice - Community Radio: role, practice and sustainability
Centre for the Study of Media and Culture in Small Nations 1 May 2008

The community sector of UK radio has come a long way since the pilot
stage just a few years ago.  We now have 100 stations, including eight
in Wales, broadcasting an impressive range of contrasting sounds

Often run on a shoestring and with very few paid members of staff, how
do stations manage to produce quality programme content on an ongoing
basis?  And how will stations manage to survive financially from year to
year?

During this free event we will be confronting issues relating to policy,
funding and practice with a variety of speakers from around the UK and
beyond.  We will be considering various models of funding and discussing
the role of community radio in a multichannel media scene.

A number of community stations will discuss and play examples of their
output, contributing to an open debate on approaches to providing
sustainable programming.

The day should be a stimulating forum for workers and volunteers in
radio, policy makers, academics and communities that have, or are hoping
to get, their own radio station.

For more information please contact Diana Brand (dbrand at glam.ac.uk)

To register, please contact Jackie Aplin, (jsaplin at glam.ac.uk) 01443 668596

Centre for the Study of Media and Culture in Small Nations
Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries,
University of Glamorgan, ATRiuM, Adam Street,  Cardiff CF24 2FN

http://culture.research.glam.ac.uk/