[cma-l] Do you have a good relationship with your local press?

Ulla ulla at j12.org
Thu Sep 13 12:45:37 BST 2007

Hi,

I have done some work experience at the Edinburgh Evenign News (Johnston
Press) as part of my journalism course, and it definitely helps if you send
them good, focused and poignant press releases including easy- to-reach
contact details of possible and competent interviewees with mobile phone
numbers, emails and stationary phone; and to have a good hook or news angle
in it, which enables them to sell more papers.

During the work experience, it became clear to me, that most of the news items
included were really the ones the journalists had to spend least time on and
which were easy to include into the paper with just pick'n mix out of the
press release and reformat.
There seem to be quite a lot of job cuts going on in mainstream journalism at
the moment so that any topic which would require lots of time, attention and
effort has a worse chance to make it into a newspaper edition.

It might be good to get in touch with your local NUJ National Union of
Journalists - there might be someone there who might be able to help you to
prepare a story in a way the paper would print it, maybe a freelance
journalist or a student or so.

The other point is trying to hit as many news values in your press release or
story about your community radio station as possible. News values are the
criterias which determine how much prominence a story is given in the media.

For more about news values, read e.g. Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_values
or Galtung and Ruge (1965):
http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/media/nvdetail.html

So if you for example have a celebrity in your station, such as the American
president drops by, or something weird and wonderful happens, such as a
yodelling contest for three-legged dogs, even your local rival can't ignore
reporting about it!

Hope this helps a little bit.
Ulla