[cma-l] Do you have a good relationship with your local press?

Michael Fryer michael_fryer at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 11:10:08 BST 2007

The most important thing is to work WITH newspapers.
Community Radio and the press should be complementary not adversarial.  If
you present your item in a newsworthy way, they gain from it and you gain
from it.  Don't expect favours, but work together professionally.  "It's the
way you tell 'em!"  If your news is interesting, it'll get printed; if it's
dreary, it won't.

I've worked successfully with all levels of the press on behalf of two
different community radio stations.  Only yesterday I had a piece in the
Northern Echo (the North East region daily newspaper) asking for volunteers
- I've had four come forward already.
Don't be put off - keep sending your NEWS items - eventually you'll get
coverage.

My biggest problem has been working with BBC local radio.  This depends so
very much on the local manager!  I was interviewed on BBC radio about
community radio and was booked for a further interview.  A new manager took
over and cancelled the interview, as he thought community radio was a
threat.

If I can be of help to anyone, please get in touch.

Cheers,
Michael Fryer
Bishop FM
07917 694 588