[cma-l] Do you have a good relationship with your local press?

Penistone Fm (Darren Holmes) DARREN.HOLMES at PENISTONEFM.CO.UK
Wed Sep 12 17:09:16 BST 2007

"They are disturbed by our presence, we are a threat, especially to
their advertising revenue."

We pretty much have the same problem, both with the local ILR and the paper.
What we plan to do should we win the licence is send them our news stories
AFTER we have used them.

That way they are perceived as the petty minded corporate machine and we are
doing our best to cooperate with them, it might not work but should anything
kick off we already have the moral high ground.

Darren Holmes
Station Director
Penistone Fm

-----Original Message-----
From: cma-l-bounces at mailman.commedia.org.uk
[mailto:cma-l-bounces at mailman.commedia.org.uk] On Behalf Of CMA-L
Sent: 12 September 2007 16:52
To: 'CMA-L'
Subject: Re: [cma-l] Do you have a good relationship with your local press?

Fwd:

From: Trevor Lockwood <lockwood at btinternet.com>

Our local paper (again part of a large group) declined our offer of a
weekly slot.

One way forward is to do better than they do: provide better coverage
of in-depth stories, give access to a wide variety of people and
organisations - and (if they get really awkward) do a programme about
local press coverage, full of vox-pop opinions.

They are disturbed by our presence, we are a threat, especially to
their advertising revenue.

Remember we are part of the media - you have a voice, a platform, use
it wherever you feel it is needed, and probably the best way is just
to ignore their existence.

Get on the Clapham omnibus! Power to the People!

Trevor
--
http://www.felixstoweradio.co.uk
http://www.icrfm.co.uk