[cma-l] Community Radio: Localised Overnight Sustaining Service

Alan Coote alan.coote at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 9 11:57:08 BST 2007

Local stations do automate / voice track overnight and the professional
presenter's rate can be very low, hardly above the national minimum wage so
there's no money to be made here in any case.

Your point about networking being counter the idea of community radio isn't
always true as there are many metropolitan areas which would benefit. In
fact limiting the definition of any community to the strength of a
transmitter is total arbitrary.

Importantly, community radio is community radio because of the social
benefits and not whether it could make money. The single most important
factor to the success of any community radio is financial. Ideas like Jon
Richardson's should be encouraged even though it remains to be seen if it
viable.

Alan Coote
The Bay (Poole)