[cma-l] Fw: Cut local shows debate

henry-otani at beeb.net henry-otani at beeb.net
Mon Oct 29 12:45:49 GMT 2007

This is a Big Issue....

See:-

Extracts from Norbert Wiener's  "Cybernetics" ( MIT 1948 )
 The author of the term "Cybernetics".

Importance of non-commercial media:
Of all anti-homeostatic factors in society, the control by business of the means of communication is the most effective and most important. One of the lessons of the present book is that: "Any social structure is held together by the possession of means for the acquisition, use, retention and transmission of information". In a society too large for the direct contact of its members, these means are the press, radio, telephone, posts, the theatre, television, the movies, school and church....

Existing Local media:

Besides their intrinsic importance as means of communication, each of the above serves other, secondary functions. The newspaper is a vehicle for advertising and an instrument of monetary gain for the proprietor as are movies and the radio...... In a society like ours, avowedly based on buying and selling, in which all natural and human resources are regarded as the absolute property of the first businessman enterprising enough to exploit them, these secondary aspects of the means of communication tend to encroach further and further on the primary ones. This is aided by the very elaboration and the consequence expense of the means themselves.... The local paper may continue to use its own reporters to canvass the villages around for gossip, but it buys its national news, its syndicated features, its political opinions as stereotyped "boiler plate"...... The great news services cost too much to be available to the publisher of moderate means.....

The Problem:

.....A triple constriction of the means of communication: the elimination of the less profitable means in favour of the more profitable; the fact that these means are in the hands of the very limited class of wealthy men, and thus naturally express the opinions of that class; and the further fact that, as one of the chief avenues to political and personal power, they attract above all those ambitious for such power.

That system which more than all others should contribute to social homeostasis is thrown directly into the hands of those most concerned in the game of power and money, which as we have already seen to be one of the chief anti-homeostatic elements in the community. It is no wonder then that the larger communities, subject to this disruptive influence, contain far less communally available information than the smaller communities.....

http://www.wlan.org.uk/weiner2.htm

Henry O'Tani

Keeper: www.wlan.org.uk
(Founder of the world-wide community wlan movement)

Phone: +44 (0) 117 986 5422
Mobile: +44 (0) 781 277 8609