[cma-l] religious broadcasting advice

Fari dontzzzthroughit at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 15:08:34 GMT 2007

Hi Murray,

Re: your doubts, quite sure it's fine for a religious group to represent
themselves as long as they do not preach hate or intolerance of other
religions or groups.

Look at how many Radio Ramadan licenses are given out at the same time
each year to mark the festival.

In a way you are lucky that more than one group has approached you, as
by hosting both shows your station will be maintaining the impartiality
that is required by Ofcom to keeping your license.  Check Ofcom's
website for more details, every detail you need is there.

The way to do it is to lay down the house rules at the start, and give
them a profile of the Target Audience and say that at every turn they
have to bear them in mind, as well as talk directly to their own.  So to
avoid anything too sermon-like ask them to bend their content to your
station and gauge how flexible they are.

Resonancefm has a light-hearted Jewish show: 'The Something Jewish
Show', an Iranian language show aimed only at Iranians obviously, a
Congolese show with some French language content.

Good luck!
Fari