[cma-l] Fwd: Press Release: With over 140 radios worldwide taking part in Radio 1812/2007, the challenge has been met

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Dec 20 14:00:49 GMT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: myriam horngren <myriam.horngren at december18.net>

Brussels 20th December

Two days later, Radio 1812 - the only online and on air global radio event
to celebrate International Migrants Day and to support the voices of
migrants worldwide - is now coming to an end.

With over 140 radio stations from 34 countries, 40 programmes gathered so
far and 1800 visitors to the site on the day, Radio 1812/2007 is a success.
Participation was double that of last year with content produced and/or
broadcasted from Australia to Peru and was highest in Europe, followed by
Africa and Latin America. Commitment to the event is best represented by of
one of the participants from the Democratic Republic of Congo: "I really
want the programme to be online tomorrow; this is why I went to Kinshasa
this week-end, 150km away from my hometown, to find people who knew more
about the IT. I got help and I hope the programme is OK".

Celebrating the success of the 2nd edition of this global initiative,
December 18's Director, René Plaetevoet enthuses: "We are totally blown away
by the fantastic response from migrant groups and radio stations around the
world. This level of interest clearly indicates that the migration debate
goes beyond the stereotypical and often manipulative discourse on migrants
and that more needs to be done to retain space for the voices of those that
are often talked about, but little heard. Hopefully, institutions,
governments and politicians around the world will start paying attention."

December 18 was also honoured by the special contribution from Thomas
Hammarberg, Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights in an interview
co-produced with London-based Colourful Radio.  The op-ed provided by Green
MEP Jean Lambert on EU migration policies furthermore helped to bolster the
2007 edition of Radio 1812.

All audio and written content will remain on the website and can be used for
re-broadcast at anytime. Programmes can be sent to radio1812 at december18.net
and will be added until the end of this week.

For more information please see the Radio 1812 website at: www.radio1812.net
You can also register for the Radio1812 mailing list by contacting
radio1812 at december18.net
Ends

****Notes for editors: The mission of DECEMBER 18 is to promote and protect
the rights of migrants worldwide. Our goal is that the human rights of all
migrants are recognised and protected effectively, and that an environment
is created for migrants to be full participants in any society. We promote
an approach to migration policies that is based on existing international
and regional human rights instruments and mechanisms.

By gathering broadcast programmes on migration issues throughout the time
zones and by providing on-demand audio streaming and exchange platforms,
Radio 1812 aims to give life and impetus to the voices of migrants
throughout the world.

Myriam Horngren
December 18
Coordinator Radio 1812/2007
Landline: +33 (0) 4 68 29 48 67
Mobile: +33 (0) 6 42 78 27 01
UK Mobile: +44 (0) 7962 062698
web: www.radio1812.net / www.december18.net
Tune in on International Migrant's Day! (18 December 2007)