[cma-l] Trust in the media

local.tv at virgin.net local.tv at virgin.net
Wed Aug 29 12:09:43 BST 2007

Olly's point ..... Frequency is a publicly-owned asset, finite in availability, and community radio stations are hugely privileged to have access to this resource.  That is something I think everyone working on a community station must constantly remind themselves.Well - in two or three months we'll see whether or not Ofcom supports the view that spectrum access can be auctioned and then traded - what local and community TV face coming up may come round to radio spectrum not too far ahead.Slip the noose of spectrum's 'public-ownership' (or stewardship) ... and why would markets stop at TV and mobile phones, theatre microphones .... spectrum is a relationship between transmitter and receiver - without reception it is not used. The collective might of the receiving community has yet to make its voice heard on the issue of 'ownership' - which will fall to the transmitting communities (companies).Dave RushtonInstitute of Local Television