[webcast-l] Fwd: < COMMONSense > // a call for magazine submissions

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Sep 12 13:58:02 BST 2008

Fwd:

From: Jake Harries <jake at lowtech.org>

Hi
We are looking for contributions to a magazine we're publishing:
stories, thoughts, book reviews, bibliographies, poetry, songs, pieces
of software code, photographs, cartoons, drawings, graphics or
anything else you can think of!

< Collaborative Cultures> // < COMMONSense >

Access Space in Sheffield is seeking contributions for a magazine to
be published this autumn. The issue will reflect
a theme which connects the activities of Access Space to the wider
world.

The theme of the issue is < COMMONSense >. Not so long ago, the
only people who talked about "the commons" were historians; today, the
language of the commons is central to debates around intellectual
property, environmental protection, and resistance to globalisation.
These international debates find their echoes here in South Yorkshire
- in the activities of Access Space, recycling waste technology and
promoting Open Source software, or in Grow Sheffield's efforts to
build local food networks and seed city centre wasteland. Can talk of
"the commons" help us find common ground between these kinds of
projects? Does using the same words mean we've found a common language
- or can it disguise different meanings and intentions?

We're looking for pieces of  COMMONSense – prose (stories, thoughts, book
reviews, bibliographies...), poetry, photographs, cartoons, drawings or
graphics.
These might approach the theme in relation to green
issues, land ownership, social relations, the internet, the music
industry, copyright, software, or anything else that makes sense to
you.

The format of the magazine means that each contribution will take up a
single A5 page. With that in mind, we're looking for the following:

*  written texts of up to 200 words
*  or poems of up to 20 lines
*  or black and white drawings, cartoons, photos or other graphics

Images should be at least 300 dpi and in JPEG, PNG or TIFF format.
Texts should be in TXT, ODT or DOC format.

We ask that your contributions be made available to us under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial license
(see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/uk/ )

The magazine will be freely available from the web.
Although we cannot pay for contributions, there will be a limited
print edition and each contributor will receive a free copy.

The deadline for submissions is 26 September 2008
Please send your contribution by email to collaborativecultures at googlemail.com
Attachments should be no more than 6 Mb.

The magazine will be edited by Dougald Hine and the creative direction
will be by artist Anne-Marie Culhane.

Contact us at collaborativecultures at googlemail.com
or email jake at access-space.org

Commonsense