[webcast-l] Social Enterprise / bTWEEN 08

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jun 3 15:41:30 BST 2008

+++ Apologies for cross-posting +++

Fwd:

b.TWEEN is the UKs only cross media forum.  Nowhere else will you find
such a diverse gathering of influentials and pioneers; all hungry to
explore what can happen when the worlds of Advertising, Creative
Technology, Film, Games, Mobile, TV, Web collide. All sessions are
available live via webcast and distributed on YouTube after the event.

b.TWEEN attracts a physical audience of 250 of the worlds most forward
thinking digital innovators and entrepreneurs and an online audience
of thousands more b.TWEEN 08 will be hosted by the Museum of Science
and Industry in Manchester on 18th - 20th June.

Go to http://www.btween.co.uk to find out more. Each year, creative
collaboration workshops are built into the programme of activity.
Delegates have been assigned to teams to work on fictional briefs. In
previous years, this has primarily been a focussed networking
exercise: there is no better way of figuring out who you would (or
would not) work with than by attempting to develop an idea with them.

This year, working with the RSA, we intend to focus the phenomenal
collective creativity and business acumen of our delegation on social
enterprise ideas that would use connected technologies to deliver real
world impact:

http://just-b.com/btween/enterprising-ideas

We hope to find young bright-sparks with ideas for further social or
environmental causes by using connected technologies in innovative
ways. We hope to choose the entrepreneurs with the 10 best ideas;
those that would benefit most from the opportunity of accessing high
level guidance.

Social entrepreneurs are being asked to upload their seed idea
(including need, approach, benefits etc) in less than 150 words, a
supporting image and their biog to prove they have the ability and
drive to deliver.  We (with a range of partners) will select the best
10 ideas.  Each b.TWEEN delegate will be assigned as mentor to one of
10 selected entrepreneurs. Teams will meet for the first time on the
first day to explore and develop the seed idea. The entrepreneur will
be expected to meet their assigned mentors in smaller groups or
individually over the next 24 hours. The team of mentors will meet
again on the second day to focus on the developed proposition and to
decide the best way to pitch the developed idea to the full
delegation. The 10 ideas will be pitched in the main arena, and the
audience will be asked to vote for their favourite idea before the
Awards Ceremony.

We hope to be able to provide resources to the best project so that
seed idea can be developed to a working prototype to attract next
stage investment. We are currently looking for a partner to help us to
develop this project to provide maximum effect for participants and
partner, and to provide resources and support to enable and guide the
prototype development of the winning idea. Both UnLtd and NESTA are
looking at possibilities with us and the RSA are introducing us to a
range of potential private sponsors.