[webcast-l] Consultation on copyright exemptions for public performance of music

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jul 2 17:28:02 BST 2008

+++ Apologies for cross-posting +++

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/press/press-release/press-release-2008/press-release-20080701.htm

A consultation on exemptions to copyright law for certain charitable
and not-for-profit organisations was launched today by the UK
Intellectual Property Office.

The Music Licensing Review consultation will seek views from music
rights holders, representative bodies of users and rights holders and
users on two exemptions which allow charitable organisations to pay
for only one of two licences normally required for playing music.

There are three options for amending the exemptions:

    * Recasting the exemptions so that they apply only to smaller charities
    * Introduction of an alternative scheme requiring payment of
equitable remuneration for playing music
    * Repeal of the exemptions

Ian Fletcher, Chief Executive of the UK-IPO, said:

"It is important that we carefully consider the use of exemptions
within copyright law. We need to ensure we find the correct balance
between the fair application of exemptions for the benefit of society
and the need to ensure a fair reward to the creators of the music we
enjoy in a way which is consistent with European and international
law."

The UK-IPO has worked closely with the Office of the Third Sector to
ensure the third sector is involved in the consultation.

Key areas of the consultation also include:

    * whether an exemption should be introduced allowing the NHS to
play televisions and radios in areas such as hospital wards without
payment of copyright licence fees
    * a proposal to remove the requirement for rights holders to
notify certain new licensing schemes to the Secretary of State for
possible reference to the Copyright Tribunal

This 16 week consultation will run until 31 October.