[webcast-l] Research- Student Radio-funding

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Aug 9 14:53:00 BST 2006

Fwd:

Subject: Research- Student Radio-funding
From: Tim Caines <Tim.Caines at uwe.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 10:38:59 +0100
To: comradio-l at commedia.org.uk

University of the West of England - Bristol

Dear Community Radio

My name is Tim, I work for the Student Union of the above University. We
are in the process of  re-launching our radio station "The HUB". I am
conducting research into several Universities and local radio stations,
basically looking for new ideas and how you run and fund you own
stations to enable UWE to improve the overall re-launch of the HUB. At
the moment I see the initial costing as a hurdle I have to get over, due
to budget constraints within the University/Student Union.

I would be grateful if you would reply to the questions I ask in this
email, plus pass on *any *information that you think relevant to
starting/improving a radio station, many thanks, I look forward to your
reply.

     *
       How did you set out initially in setting up your radio station ?
     *
       Where did the funding come from?
     *
       How did you budget for the first year?
     *
       what were your major cost/out-goings
     *
       Do you bring in any revenue, if so how?
     *
       what advertising do you do? how often?
     *
       What promotions do you do?
     *
       Do you have a sponsor?
     *
       Do you have companies/clients/customers that advertise on you
       radio station? what sort of rates do you charge them advertising?
     *
       How many employees work at the station
     *
       How many DJs?
     *
       what are the programme time tables like?
     *
       How many programmes do  you incorporate within the day?
     *
       what type of programmes do you air? how are they advertised/promoted?
     *
       Are you on Air all day? if not, what hours do you do on Air and
       what times do you find are best?
     *
       How do you target your audience?
     *
       Do you have a marketing/commercial dept, if yes what are their
       main purposes?
     *
       Do you have a News Dept?
     *
       Do you have Reporters/journalist?
     *
       Do you work in conjunction with any local radio Stations? if yes,
       how did you initially contact these Stations etc

  Many thanks, kind regards

Tim

UWESU
(HUB Radio-Researcher)