[webcast-l] Via the Internet, TV's future promises to be more eclectic

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue May 17 17:05:28 BST 2005

Hi

There is an interesting article in today's Seattle Times profiling a new
Internet television company called Brightcove along with a programme on
'hog cooking' (???) to be broadcast on the Barbeque Network by DaveTV.

DaveTV and Brightcove, along with companies like Akimbo, Total Vid, Open
Media Network and OurMedia are part of a growing new group of companies
called internetworks that are seeking to compete with regular network
television and offer alternative niche video content.

These offerings are likely to be delivered to the domestic user via
platforms like TiVo and Microsoft's Media Center shortly.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002276076_btinternettv16.html

I believe that the Internet is going to play a greater role in
delivering television content in the very near future - take the news
from the BBC today for example
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/05_may/16/imp.shtml)
- and that 'store-and-forward' delivery methods for television will
possibly become the norm.

I think this has particular relevance to community television as it is
such a cheap and convenient way to transmit content to what is perceived
to be a niche audience.

There is so much of this news that comes out on a daily basis that I try
to keep track of some of it via my blog at:

http://www.colondot.blogspot.com/

Best regards

Bill Best