[comtv-l] BBC News: Local TV news could be sponsored

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Aug 19 16:20:29 BST 2011

Dozens of new local TV stations could be the first broadcasters in the
UK to have sponsored news bulletins, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has
said.

"News programmes at the moment can't be sponsored and I would like to
find a way of getting around that if I can," he told a summit on plans
for local TV.

Mr Hunt wants around 50 new local TV stations to open by 2015.

But there must be a mechanism to make sure that the news remains
independent and impartial, he added.

Speaking in Birmingham, he said the sponsorship of bulletins could
provide crucial funds for the fledgling stations.

He said he would "look at the law in this respect", but added that
regulations meant it would be difficult to achieve.

"We are looking to find ways to enable them to get revenue in any way
they can, and if we can find a way that allows them to get sponsorship
of certain programmes in a way that doesn't breach the current
broadcasting code, then that's what we'd like to do."

However, allowing companies to sponsor news programmes is currently
prohibited by media regulator Ofcom's code and by EU regulations.

A spokeswoman for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said the
government was "keen to maximise the revenue sources available to
local TV stations".

"One way of doing this would be to increase sponsorship
opportunities," she said.

"The law prohibits the sponsorship of news but, as we are drawing up
the licences for the new TV stations, we are looking at what we may be
able to do within the existing rules.

"Whatever we do though we would insist on robust impartiality,
accuracy and fairness rules remaining in place."

Debra Davis of City TV, which is bidding to run the Birmingham
channel, said she would support the move.

"You want to make sure local TV is commercially viable," she said.
"Most people watch the news and you'd be able to sell the
[advertising] time in and around the news quite well, for good rates.

"How it's done creatively and editorially needs some consideration.
Commercial and editorial will always be separated."

Broadcasters would not compromise their integrity by giving sponsors
special treatment, she added. "You would ruin your reputation. You
couldn't do that, you wouldn't do that."

Mr Hunt added that rules on political impartiality and taste and
decency would not be relaxed for the local stations.

The government has just published a list of 65 locations where local
TV services could potentially broadcast. Around 20 initial licences
will be awarded next year, with the first stations going on air in
2013.

They are likely to be broadcast on Freeview on channel eight in
England and Northern Ireland, with another channel to be found in
Scotland and Wales.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14590605

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation