[comtv-l] Broadcasting: Scottish Parliament debates, 29 September 2010, 2:30 pm

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 12 11:01:16 BST 2010

Fiona Hyslop (Scottish National Party)

I am sure that the panel will look throughout Scotland to find out
what possibilities exist. I have already said that Scotland has
particular relevance, reference and importance as part of the UK
consideration. Within Scotland, the Borders have a particular issue
that must be addressed—the region is badly served by existing
broadcasting arrangements. We have repeatedly said that it is absurd
that 250,000 people in Scotland receive their channel 3 regional news
bulletin from studios in Gateshead and we will continue to press the
UK Government on that.

The south of Scotland alliance and other groups are considering how
community television stations could work. I encourage them to engage
with the digital network panel and the Nicholas Shott review. However,
at the end of the day, the decision remains a matter for the UK
Government until such time as broadcasting responsibilities are
transferred to the Scottish Parliament.

Hansard: http://bit.ly/cqea5a

\\

Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5