[comtv-l] Fwd: A Rights-Based Approach to Participatory Video: Toolkit

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jul 12 12:50:01 BST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gareth Benest <gbenest at insightshare.org>

Dear friends

I would like to share with you the latest update from all the team here at
InsightShare including information about our latest publication: 'A
Rights-Based Approach to Participatory Video: toolkit', which I have just
completed writing and would very much welcome your feedback and thoughts
upon.  You will also find links to other practical participatory video
publications (free to download from our website) and details of our courses
and discussion group.  This is a one-off email just to share these resources
with you, which I hope finds you all happy and well.

Best wishes,

Gareth

*Gareth Benest*
Projects Director

E: gbenest at insightshare.org
T: +44 (0)1865 403127
M: +44 (0)7584 122125
S: garethbenest

*InsightShare*
Amplify - Connect - Transform
*www.insightshare.org*

----------------

*1. A new InsightShare toolkit: 'A Rights-Based Approach to Participatory
Video'*

This is a practical, do-it-yourself guide for leaders and
facilitators wishing to strengthen their work through introducing a
rights-based approach to participatory video. Compact and beautifully laid
out with illustrations and dynamic links to videos and photostories this
toolkit is eminently practical; full of exercises and
techniques, facilitator checklists, case-studies, templates, resource lists
and copies of key human rights instruments.  In it we explain core concepts
such as why participatory video favours an overt rather than covert approach
to helping groups shape their rights-based video messages and the importance
of identifying and valuing what we call "home-known rights" to avoid
imposing lists of rights that could be perceived as alien or agitating.

The stage-by-stage descriptions include some elemental processes (e.g. the
storyboard technique) and some well-loved classics have been revised and
refined to provide an essential update to our acclaimed practitioners'
handbook, see below.

The toolkit is offered free to the world as a dynamic PDF from our website.
 Please feel free to download, print and share the toolkit with friends and
colleagues or post this message and link across your networks. *
http://insightshare.org/resources/right-based-approach-to-pv-toolkit*

*The publication of 'Rights-Based Approach to Participatory Video:
toolkit' was supported by funds from the UNDP Global Human Rights
Strengthening Programme (GHRSP) through the GEF Small Grants Programme (SGP)
implemented by the UNDP on behalf of the GEF partnership of agencies.*

*New translations of our handbook available...*

Since the 2006 United Nations General Assembly launch of 'Insights into
Participatory Video: a handbook for the field' - the first practical guide
to using participatory video in the international development context - the
handbook has passed through the hands of over 10,000 practitioners
worldwide.  It has now been translated into Spanish, French, Russian and
Bahasa Indonesian.  The original version and the translations can all be
downloaded for free from our website here -
http://insightshare.org/resources/pv-handbook

*'Introduction to Participatory Video' course*

Our 'Introduction to Participatory Video' courses continue for the 6th
consecutive year with the next round scheduled for the 20th - 24th September
2010 and 14th - 17th June 2011.  We also continue our new and very popular
2-day 'Editing for Participatory Video' course on the weekend immediately
following the introductory course (25th & 26th September 2010 / 18th & 19th
June 2011).  To download a course brochure and booking form, visit:
http://insightshare.org/engage/courses

*Finally....why not join our Google Group?*

We have started a Google Group for all those who are interested in
exchanging ideas, challenges and learning about participatory video. The
page is at: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/insightshare-followers.  Please
join with us or invite other people to do so. To those already signed up,
great to see so much energy and dialogue in just a few months, and more than
160 members taking part!