[comtv-l] Scottish cities should get own TV news channels, say Tories

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jan 29 17:33:04 GMT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Laurence <rjhlaurence at mac.com>

The reason US cities have local TV stations is because the FCC doesn't
allow the networks to own them - each network can own a maximum of
three stations and must buy air time on "affiliates" in all other
markets.

The affiliates decide how much air time they are prepared to let the
networks have, and sometimes they will drop network programming if
something of more appeal is happening locally.

It's the antithesis of the centralised, top-down approach we have here.

I told this to the select committee on local media when they came to
York and they didn't seem to understand what I was saying.

Richard Laurence MIBS, AM Inst V
--
http://www.vps-tv.co.uk
Office:  44 (0) 113 281 1188

VIDEO PRODUCTION SERVICES LTD
Registered Office
20B MAIN STREET
BARWICK-IN-ELMET
LEEDS
LS15 4JQ
Company No. 05048174 (Registered in England and Wales)
VAT registration number 613 2778 46

"VIDEO-VAN", "VIDEO-VAN.COM", "VIDEO PRODUCTION SERVICES",
"VPS-TV.CO.UK" "STREAMWEAVERS" and "LAURENCE.CO.UK" are trading names
and trademarks of Video Production Services Limited