[comtv-l] Culture Media and Sport: Thursday, 31 January 2008 - Written answers (Hansard)

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Feb 1 11:17:08 GMT 2008

Andy Burnham (Secretary of State, Department for Culture, Media & Sport):

The Government is committed to retaining a strong regional dimension
to public service broadcasting. That is why the Communications Act
2003 provides safeguards for quality regional programming-making and
regional programming and requires Ofcom to set appropriate targets for
the provision of news and current affairs programmes.

I have no plans to hold any discussions with ITV on this specific
issue as the responsibility for regulating ITV's public service
obligations falls to Ofcom. However, I expect these issues to form an
important aspect of Ofcom's current PSB review.

http://tinyurl.com/238pw5