[comtv-l] Ofcom and DTT

Peter Reid petersr001 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:18:40 GMT 2007

Greetings.

People may be aware that Ofcom has today announced that, apparently with
little effort or pain, it will be making upgrades to digital terrestrial
broadcasting (Freeview) that will allow for a 20% increase in
broadcasting capacity. This will enable the carrying of a range of new
services including high definition channels.

With every new piece of information that emerges the case for universal
access to broadcasting facilities for communities grows stronger. If 20%
extra capacity can be so easily found and will be available, then the
case for allocating a small percentage of it to communities becomes ever
more unanswerable.

This is great news.

I look forward to the development of a national community television
network beginning soon.

Do we have any latest news from the CMA on these issues?

The Ofcom press release is here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2007/11/nr_20071121

and the consultation document, which I haven't had time to read is here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/dttfuture/

All best,

Peter.