[CMA TV] BBC Skills for Life online video trial project

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 11:20:41 BST 2007

Fwd:

From: Michelle Treagust Michelle.Treagust at bbc.co.uk

Dear Sir/Madam

I am currently working on a trial video project for the BBC and would
like to know if it may be of interest to the Community Media Association
and its members? Please find details below.

*Summary*
The BBC is working on a trial online learning project which will feature
videos made by adults, for adults. We are very keen to ensure we can
receive contributions from people within all communities, especially
those who might not have access to media facilities. As the Community
Media Association promotes access to media for all people and has
experience of working with a wide range of communities we would like to
know whether you, or your members, would be interested in encouraging
people to participate?

*Background information*
*Project: BBC Homework Help*

*What is it?*
The BBC Essential Skills team, who in the past have brought you BBC
Skillswise http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise, WebWise
http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise and Computer Tutor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/computertutor, are running a trial online
project. BBC Homework Help is a new website where parents share video
tips about how they help their kids with homework. The aim of the site
is to help adults improve their skills through peer learning. From
research we know that a key motivational feature for adults to improve
their own skills is to be able to help their children with their homework.

As the site is a trial, initially the subject focus will be maths
(equivalent adult curriculum: numeracy) for primary school aged children
from reception to year 6.

The site motto is 'by parents, for parents' and the pilot aims to
explore what sort of learning videos parents create as well as what
other parents, teachers and tutors think of the videos submitted.

*Why are we contacting you?*
As part of the trial project we need to collect videos made by parents
(or other family members) about helping their children with their maths
homework. The Homework Help team are looking for organisations, or
Skills for Life tutors, working with parents of primary school children
to make short video tips for the site.

For the trial project we are looking at collecting videos to populate
the website. Once we have a sufficient amount the trial site can then go
live. We are looking at collecting the videos in a variety of ways:
- Fully supported: a member of the BBC Homework Help team will come and
run a session with parents helping them make films for the website
- Partially supported: a member of the BBC Homework Help team will offer
online and phone advice on running a session with parents, where films
will be made for the website.

*What next?*
If you would like to find out more, or get involved, please contact me
on 0208 7526864 or drop me an email.

Many thanks

Michelle

Michelle Treagust
Content Producer, BBC Lifeskills
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nohome
http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise
http://www.bbc.co.uk/raw

http://www.bbc.co.uk
stated.

reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.