[CMA TV] CMA and BBC English Regions Reach Landmark Agreement

Alan Fransman alan.fransman at commedia.org.uk
Fri Nov 3 13:13:07 GMT 2006

+++ APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING! +++

Community Media Association

News Release

CMA and BBC English Regions Reach Landmark Agreement

The Community Media Association (CMA) and BBC English Regions have
reached a landmark agreement for cooperation between Community Media
projects and the BBC in England.  The agreement provides a flexible
framework which encourages current and future creative work between
community media groups and the BBC - to ensure that these happen in the
best way with the best outcomes, delivering a richer experience for
listeners, viewers and web users.

Phil Shepherd, Chair of the Community Media Association said, “The CMA
and its members are committed to access to the media by individuals and
communities as a way of achieving lasting and positive social change. We
have been encouraged by the diverse local partnerships currently
developing between local community media projects and BBC staff. We hope
that, by working together, the BBC and the CMA will be able to offer
important opportunities to local communities. We look forward to working
together in an equal partnership which has benefits to local communities
at its heart.”

Andy Griffee, Controller for BBC English Regions said, “I welcome this
Memorandum of understanding between the CMA and BBC English Regions. The
spirit of co-operation in which we have drawn up this agreement
recognises that both parties bring different traditions and backgrounds
to the table – but that we should be considered as equal partners. The
BBC does not view the Community Media Association – or individual on-air
projects by CMA members – as a threat or competition, and we have many
common aims and objectives in our ambitions to serve local communities.
Indeed we have welcomed the arrival of community radio, in which
communities make their own radio content, as an exciting and important
addition to the broadcast landscape which can only enrich local lives.”

Jaqui Devereux, Acting Director of the Community Media Association said,
“I look forward to maximising the opportunities available in this
mutually beneficial partnership which adds a new dimension to public
service broadcasting through the collaborative efforts of the Community
Media sector and the BBC.”

The agreement creates a new strategic framework between BBC English
Regions & CMA to share on-going changes in the BBC and CMA broadcasting
landscape, to monitor and share best practice between CMA projects and
local BBC stations and act as “clearing house” and central point of
contact to seek any internal BBC or CMA support that may be required. It
acknowledges current levels of engagement between Community Media
Projects and the BBC and aims for a level of mutual trust and
understanding between Community Media Project Editors and BBC Editors.
Finally, the agreement sets standards for working together with advice
on planning, sharing information, feedback, monitoring and evaluation
and adopts best practice guidelines as set out by the Convention of
Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA) in their National Standards for
Community Engagement.

-ends-

For further information and a download of the CMA / BBC English Regions
Memorandum of Understanding visit www.commedia.org.uk

Notes to editors
1.    The Community Media Association (CMA) is the UK membership
association for community media.  Its mission is to enable people to
establish and develop communications media for cultural and creative
expression, community development and entertainment.  The CMA membership
consists of 300 community media organisations plus 300 individuals and
associate organisations. CMA members work throughout the UK in sound and
radio, television, video and new media.  The CMA’s head office is
located in Sheffield.

--
Book now for the Community Media sector's premier event!
http://www.commedia.org.uk/festival2006

CMA Festival & AGM 2006
City University
London

Alan Fransman
Community Media Association
15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities