[CMA TV] Fwd: CRE CALLING FOR ENTRIES FOR RIMA 06 FILM CATEGORY

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Mar 22 20:08:30 GMT 2006

Fwd:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	CRE CALLING FOR ENTRIES FOR RIMA 06 FILM CATEGORY
Date: 	Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:09:38 -0000
From: 	Sarah Lane <sarahl at skillset.org>

Dear Colleagues

Apologies for the round-robbin.

I just wanted to bring the Commission for Racial Equality Media awards
to your attention. There is a film category in the awards which the UK
Film Council is sponsoring and the CRE tell me that there have been no
films nominated at all. There is a cost for entering films but it’s not
expensive – less than £100. Please do pass on to anyone you know who
would be interested in entering a film for consideration.

www.cre.gov.uk/rima

Best

Tina

Tina McFarling

UK Film Council

Tel +44 (0) 20 7861 7900

Mobile + 44 (0)7879 421 578

email tina.mcfarling at ukfilmcouncil.org.uk

www.ukfilmcouncil.org.uk

Call for films ---- entertainment at amiplan.com

The CRE's Race in Media Awards (RIMA) - now in their 14th year - were
set up

to reward excellent coverage of race issues across magazines,
television, radio, new media and film.

Last years film winners were Paul Morrison's Wondrous Oblivion (Apt
Films) for best film feature; Jonathan Jones's 'Who Killed PC Blakelock'
(Films of Record Ltd) for best film documentary and Martin Friend's '
Other' (Screen East) for film shorts. All, in the opinion of independent
judges*, made a significant contribution to raising our collective
understanding of the many communities that now make up our nation.

Film has a massive role to play in how we tackle prejudice and
discrimination - it is about changing minds and attitudes. Issues like
the rise of the far right, Islamophobia, the fight against terrorism and
immigration still present huge challenges for journalists and film makers.

This year's event coincides with the 30th anniversary of the CRE and the
Race Relations Act - a groundbreaking piece of legislation that has
helped tackle the blatant racism that existed when the CRE first came
into being. But discrimination has become more subtle. Ethnic minorities
are still facing discrimination in all areas including education,
employment and politics.

There is still a long way for the media industry to go: both in its
coverage of the issues, and in the make-up of the people who cover them.

Some directors chose to say nothing rather than tackle a difficult issue
for fear of causing offence. And where gaps exist, the space is filled
with suspicion and half truths - which certainly don't help build
understanding between different communities. These are issues that we
need to talk about and your role in setting the tone has never been more
important.

For more information or to apply online visit www.cre.gov.uk/rima or
call the RIMA team on 0845 363 1478 or email rima at rslive.co.uk

Yours sincerely

Trevor Phillips

Chair, Commission for Racial Equality

Nicola Pierce

Media and Public Affairs Officer

Commission for Racial Equality

St Dunstan's House, 201-211 Borough High Street

London SE1 1GZ

Phone: 0207 939 0072

Fax: 0207 939 0004

Mobile: 07876 453 779

E-mail: npierce at cre.gov.uk

Web: www.cre.gov.uk

RIMA 2006 - Now more than ever

The CRE's Race in the Media Awards will take place on June 14th 2006
Enter online at www.rima.org.uk by Friday 17 March

*Sarah Lane
*Film Co-ordinator

*What are you doing for National Skills Day? * *25th May 2006*

Skillset | Prospect House | 80-110 New Oxford Street | London | WC1A 1HB
T: 020 7520 5942 | F: 020 7520 5758 | E: sarahl at skillset.org | W:
www.skillset.org <http://www.skillset.org/>