[CMA TV] BBC: we shouldn't share licence fee

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Tue May 24 14:17:31 BST 2005

BBC: we shouldn't share licence fee
Geoff White
24 May 2005 10:09

The BBC has called for the licence fee to be kept in place until
after digital switchover in 2016, and has rejected the idea of
letting other broadcasters compete for a share.

In March the government's green paper on the corporation's future
said a review would look into alternative ways of funding the BBC -
including subscription - before the switch to digital was complete.

But in its first response to the paper, the BBC today urged the
government to delay a funding review until after 2016.

"We restate that licence fee is integral to what the BBC delivers -
different funding models mean different BBC," said a spokesman.

The corporation also rejected any calls for the corporation to share
the licence fee with other broadcasters fulfilling a public service
function, saying that "it would break accountability between licence
fee payer and the BBC and pose a threat to BBC political independence".
The corporation's response also fleshes out the role of the trust,
which will replace the governors. The BBC wants 12 trustees, with a
representative from each of the regions.

Source: broadcastnow.co.uk

--
Michelle McGuire
Development Officer