[Community Television] Hot News from the Engine Room, Bridgwater

Mickey Conn michael.conn at commedia.org.uk
Thu May 12 17:13:49 BST 2005

Forwarded from info at somersetfilm.com
----

Hot News from the Engine Room, Bridgwater.

Dear Friend

Just to remind you not to miss out this weekend on our action packed
Forward Motion Festival.

Highlights include top BBC entertainment producer/director Tony Newman
sharing his tips for working with actors, the SMILE and Engine Room
showreels, Julien Temple¹s update on the Glastonbury feature film,
Brigit McConville and Elspeth Waldie, local producers with global
stories, Duncan Speakman¹s gruelling countdown to V-logging,  picture
and sound masterclasses with Bob Austen and Andrew Lawrence, an
insider¹s take on wildlife film with veteran producer Andrew Buchanan,
Tom Archer on the threat to news TV,  a wild and wonderful Junction in
Motion performance / screening / networking evening, and on Sunday, a
unique opportunity to meet and talk with Paul Watson, ground breaking
documentary director with a new series on BBC 1 starting next week.

See below for full details of the programme, look forward to welcoming
you at the Engine Room over the weekend.  Call us on 01278 433187 or
email info at somersetfilm.com for more details.

FORWARD MOTION 2005 PROGRAMME

This is the third annual Forward Motion festival at the Engine Room and,
as before, offers a concentrated dose of filmmaking expertise and
experience, delivered by industry professionals over three days of
workshops, talks and events.

This year¹s programme will be paralleled by a schedule of screenings in
our new Video Lounge, and leavened with music, projections and refreshments.

Friday 13 May

0930 for 0945

Working With Actors

Top BBC entertainment producer/director Tony Newman shares his tips for
working with actors.

1100

SMILE

Young people from Somerset¹s schools and colleges present their recent
films and talk about what¹s coming up next at SMILE, the new moving
image learning and education hub. The hub is a newly forming creative
exchange of ideas, knowledge and resources between media practitioners
and educators.

1230

2004/05 SHOWREEL LAUNCH with MOMENTUM

Join us to toast the first screening of the new Engine Room showreel,
together with extracts from the four films made under our recent
successful MOMENTUM programme*

1300

Lunch ­ * the full versions of the MOMENTUM films will be show nin the
studio between 1300 and 1400.

1400

Glastonbury Festival, history in the making.

Director Julien Temple updates us on progress on the new feature
documentary looking at the 35 year history of the Glastonbury Festival.
The film is currently in post production deep in the Somerset
countryside. Julien comments  ³The recorded history of the festival
offers a powerful mirror to the extraordinary changes which have taken
place in the way we have lived our lives over the last 35 years.².  With
the Œmother of all music sound tracks¹ the film is set to make waves on
its cinema release in early 2006.

1515

29 days to show the world...

Blogs? vLogs? In our continued efforts to keep up with the times we sent
Duncan Speakman to find out about video blogging. In this humorous and
informative talk Duncan takes us through his gruelling 29 day mission to
become a world famous online video maker with a small camera and no
money.....

1630

Local producers, global stage

Local producer Elspeth Waldie with journalist/producer Brigid McConville
introduce their current projects. Elspeth Waldie heads Purple Field
Productions, a new voluntary group committed to assisting developing
world NGOs in the making of films with a social message. Their first
project took them to Bangladesh and has involved shooting a full-length
feature film designed to dispel some of the local fears and prejudices
related to disability. Brigid McConville and colleague r. Gwyneth Lewis,
gathered the testimony ofmothers and midwives in villages and slums
across Africa and South East Asia. The title of their first film, My
Sister My Self¹ comes from all those who spoke of a sister ­ or aunt, or
cousin, or friend ­ who had dide as a result of pregnancy.  The film has
been ­ and continues to be - show all over the world.

Saturday 14 May

1000 for 1015

The Art of the Motion Picture Cameraman

Bob Austen brings 25 years experience as a DOP to this masterclass which
looks at the skills necessary for the professional film and video camera
person when working in an international arena. This essential session
will look at the requirements for studio, documentary and news gathering
camerawork.

1145

Sound Without Fury

Former BBC Senior Sound Supervisor and rock¹n roll legend Andrew
Lawrence explains the principles of good sound recording and design for
film and television.  Sound is the area most overlooked by less
experienced film makers, a situation which leads to many problems in
post production.  One of our most popular events in 2004, don¹t miss
this important session.

1300

Lunch

1400

Wild Life Television ­ Evolution or Extinction

Andrew Buchanan, Deputy Head of Granada Wild, and Executive Producer on
literally hundreds of wildlife documentaries, brings us a rare glimpse
into the extraordinary world of wild life film making. Andrew¹s
experience promises a session rich in anecdotes, which will be
illustrated with clips from a number of films.

1530

Death of the Story

Tom Murphy is a cameraman of 21 years experience. Drawing on his
coverage from behind the Russian lines in Afghanistan, of the Israeli
invasion of Beirut, the fall of the Berlin Wall, conflicts in Bosnia,
Somalia and Rwanda, Tom warns that new technology with new media
ownership and production values are creating a world where unchecked
facts masquerade as news and information.  A timely warning from the
front lines.

1900

Junction in Motion

A special festival Junction evening (inc wine and nibbles) providing the
customary great opportunity to connect with other local ­ and not so
local - media creatives.  The evening will include: Music and
performance from Alex Bradley, hot foot from Australia and his recent
successful Whiteplane 2 installation (with Charles Poulet) at the
Gateshead Baltic.  Alex will present ŒA Year in 20 Minutes¹. a special
screening of the Super 8 classic ŒGordon the Movie¹ introduced by its
maker, long time bastion of South West film making, Paul ŒNasher¹
achman. Brand new work from the Bridgwater College dance and media
degree students. Action, a collection of short dance films from the
South West, introduced by Kyra Norman.

And much more Š

Sunday 15 May

1100-1500

Documentary Now

Director Paul Watson (ŒThe Family¹, ŒThe Fishing Party¹, ŒSylvania
Waters¹), one of the key figures in British documentary since the
1970¹s, talks about his work - guaranteed to challenge, inform and
entertain.  Cost £5 includes buffet lunch.  Paul also invites you to
bring examples of your documentary work to look at - ring us for more
details if you intend to bring work.

--
Mickey Conn
Admin Assistant