[CMA TV] Programming for the Nations and Regions: Ofcom Statement

Diane Reid diane.reid at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jun 9 16:17:23 BST 2005

Dear All,

Here is an extract from Ofcom's Statement on programming in Regions and
Nations  which refers to responses to its consultation on PSB Review Phase
3.

It contains a number of things we should respond to, jointly and severally,
including broadcasting in the Nations. I would draw your attention to two
issues in particular.

In its statement(extract below)Ofcom contends that local TV has not yet
proved its potential (as we know, opportunities to do this have been
severely limited technically and legislatively and continue to be so yet
despite this local and community TV stations have proved their value to
their local communities). The statement also links the funding of local
television to the transfer of resources from regional services to local
providers (which would not necessarily be the case)and expresses interest in
BBC provision of local services.

Extract from Ofcom Statement
Regions

1.15 In addition to the issues on which we were consulting, some respondents
referred to other elements of our longer-term vision for broadcasting in the
Nations and Regions. Although not strictly part of the consultation, we have
summarised these responses here.

1.16 On local TV, many respondents expressed their support for our intention
to carry out further work on the future of digital local TV. Some felt that
local services provided a more dynamic and compelling prospect than regional
television, and urged us to explore ways to transfer resources from regional
broadcasting to more local services (for example, making regional airtime on
ITV1 available to local providers). These are interesting proposals,
although we do not feel as yet that local TV has proved its potential
sufficiently to warrant such a radical intervention in the TV market.

1.17 As previously stated, we will carry out further work on the prospects
for local TV and consult on our proposals later in the year. We note that
the BBC is developing a pilot of its own local television service in the
West Midlands, and welcome its offer to share its evaluation data with Ofcom
to contribute to our own work."

I would welcome your comments on these issues and others raised by the Ofcom
statement on or off list.

The full statement etc can be found at

News Release
Ofcom publishes statements on programming for the Nations and Regions and
ITV Networking Arrangements
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2005/06/nr_20050609

Ofcom review of public service television broadcasting - Phase 3 -
Competition for quality
Statement on Programming for the Nations and Regions
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/psb3/statement/

Review of ITV Networking Arrangements : Statement
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/itv/statement/

You may also find it interesting to read the story in the MediaGuardian
about how Ofcom wants BBC licence fee to be shared with rivals

The debate over the future funding of the BBC was reignited yesterday when
the media regulator Ofcom said the licence fee should be increased and the
money shared between the corporation's commercial rivals. Responding to the
government's green paper on the renewal of the BBC's royal charter, the
watchdog also backed controversial proposals to create an independent
regulator to oversee the BBC and the public service output of other
broadcasters. Full story on
 http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1502500,00.html (need to
register)

Best wishes,
Diane

Diane Reid
Director
Community Media Association
Access to the media for people and communities
http://www.commedia.org.uk/