[CMA TV] Fwd: Looking for UK Community TV Channels

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jul 18 20:04:03 BST 2005

Forwarded From: cathy at timescape.ca

Begin forwarded message:

Dear CMA Members,

I am producing a 6-part documentary series about community-access
television around the world, and would like to find out how many
fully functional community-access TV channels there are currently in
the UK.  By "fully functional" and "community-access TV" I mean:

a) you are on air every day, all year round, with some kind of
regular programming schedule

b) the programs you show are locally produced (the majority, at least)

c) the programs are produced by or at least with the help and
participation of non-professional volunteers or volunteer groups in
the community.  Preferably, production is open to anyone (a freedom-
of-speech mandate).

Many community-access TV channels that I am featuring also provide
training and equipment access to their volunteer producers, although
that is becoming less of a necessity as more and more community
groups and organizations buy their own low-cost digital cameras and
editing systems.

Whether you broadcast via the web, an RSL analog license, digital or
satellite is of interest to me but not a limiting factor (i.e. I
don't care which).

I am going to be travelling in the UK in August and September
visiting channels for potential inclusion in the series, so if you
feel your channel meets these criteria I would love to hear your
story... your successes and impact in the local community
especially.  All participating channels (and any community TV
channels) will be give the option to air copies of the finished
series in their communities.  Episodes shot to date cover channels in
Fiji and Latin America.

So... please get in touch!!!  If you'd like more info about the
series, please visit my web site at www.timescape.ca and click the
"My TV, Your TV, Our TV" link on the first page.

Cathy Edwards
Producer "My TV, Your TV, Our TV"
and President TimeScape Productions
Ottawa, CANADA
1 (613) 828-3969

PS  Although I have distribution for the series on educational
channels in Canada and the US, I am still looking for a way to have
the series shown in the UK.  If anyone has an "in" with a broadcaster
that you think would be interested in this content, please let me
know.  (The BSkyB Community Channel weirdly declined.)

--
Michelle McGuire
Development Officer

Community Media Association
http://www.commedia.org.uk

"Access to the media for people and communities"