[Community Television] A new framework for Public Service Broadcasting

Dave Rushton local.tv at virgin.net
Thu Sep 30 14:44:36 BST 2004

Dear ACTO and CMA,

Response time is only four weeks for Phase 2 of 'Ofcom's review of
public service television broadcasting'. There is a great deal in this
document relevant to the small-scale TV sector - not least the pressure
to look for alternative digital platforms. Assume it to be unlikely
that digital terrestrial transmission will roll out further - therefore
isolating all communities on relays from localised broadcasting. These
communities might possibly be pushed to a Freeview Satellite or other
(Sky?) service with a one off set top box purchase as well as to
broadband. Ofcom don't spell this out - but terrestrial digital access
will be tricky for areas reliant on relays not currently digitally
configured. Particular problems for Scotland and Wales are highlighted
here.

In contrast of especial interest is the separate document titled
'reshaping television for the UK's nations, regions and localities'.
Note the last word .... 'localities' hooray! Here the evidence is
presented of very strong public demand in support of small-scale
television (particularly for news (you might remember, there was a BBC
Scotland report on this this time last year) but Ofcom are still
havering over the means to deliver (and note what is happening with
digital terrestrial). Also a clear tie in between 'local TV' and 'PSB'
is suggested.

But in spite (or because) of this strong demand - out of thin air -
there is a new initiative to support a Public Service Publisher
proposed to secure £300m of new tax/licence funds. So the squaring of
new money with public demand for small-scale TV has still to be made -
and made well and frequently enough to Ofcom over the next four weeks
for them to put serious work put in place on delivery platform(s) for
small-scale services.

Do get a copy of the Phase 2 Review - both parts.

Dave Rushton
Institute of Local Television