[Community Television] Jowell: Reality shows could be PSB

Michelle McGuire michelle at commedia.org.uk
Tue Mar 2 12:58:06 GMT 2004

Jowell: Reality shows could be PSB
Colin Robertson
02 March 2004 09:53

Reality TV and soaps such as EastEnders could be classed as public
service broadcasting, according to media secretary Tessa Jowell.

As the government and regulator Ofcom gear up to create a new framework
for public service broadcasting Jowell said reality shows which shed
light on human behaviour could well qualify for PSB status.

"I could certainly see that a reality-TV show that explored some
particular aspect of human behaviour could be argued for as
public-service broadcasting, with an interest that extends beyond
profits and high ratings," she told the Independent, adding that she
had watched "four episodes and many hours of ITV1’s I'm A Celebrity...
Get Me Out of Here".

She also suggested that some storylines in soaps often had a strong
public service value. "I would say that those episodes of EastEnders
that tackle difficult issues of child abuse, drug taking, teenage
pregnancy, and so forth, are actually - when they do it responsibly -
providing an important public service."

Her comments will be well received by commercial broadcasters who are
hoping for a more relaxed PSB framework under Ofcom. They have called
for an end to the "box ticking", whereby each channel is prescribed a
certain number of hours of religion, arts, and kids programming to
satisfy PSB remits.

Source:broadcastnow.co.uk