[tv-rsl-l] Local TV- urgent call to action

Nicky Edmonds nicky at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 17:56:53 GMT 2003

Planning for Local and Community Digital TV in the UK

The future of free to air local and community TV on digital  may be
under threat
.  please read on for more information.

The Government is currently planning how to use the broadcast television
spectrum after analogue switch off. The planning is being carried out
based on 3 scenarios.  Recently we have been advised that Scenario 1,
the Radical Replan is being seriously considered by the DTI. This would
leave little or no room for local and community TV. There are two other
scenarios that would leave potential space for community and local TV
and it is urgent that we let the politicians know that there is demand
for local and community TV.
The Government is working towards a decision on this by February 2003.
The CMA is approaching this from two angles and it would be useful to
have your support on this, and to hear your views.

Approach 1

1. Write to Stephen Timms MP, Minister of State, Department of Trade and
Industry, 1 Victoria Street,  London, SW1H OET

2. Ask MPs in your area to write to Stephen Timms supporting your
project.

Please could you let me know if you do decide to contact the Minister
and your MPs. Also, please forward this email to anyone who you know who
may be interested in supporting local and community TV.

Approach 2
The Communications bill is presently being debated in the House of
Commons. The CMA has asked for an amendment to be tabled which would
ensure that capacity is created for local digital TV services. (see
below). If this and the other amendments on local and community TV are
debated it will most likely be between 9.00 and 11.30 on Thursday 16
January. CMA will also lobby to have these issues raised in the Lords.

Amendment to  Clause 153
Page 138, line 35, after "service" insert "and that there is sufficient
remaining capacity for at least two local digital television services in
every locality"

Please get in touch if you have any questions. Email
nicky at commedia.org.uk. Tel 0114 279 5219.
Best wishes
Nicky Edmonds
Community Media Association