[comradio-l] Comm Radio station insurance

David Sharp dave.sharp at academyfmfolkestone.com
Thu Jan 8 12:24:30 GMT 2015

Hi Community Radio mailing list,

Sorry for the boring post.

I'd like to find out what insurance other Community Radio stations are covered by - and especially what level of cover people would recommend for Professional Indemnity i.e. covering potential libel claims against the station etc..... If indeed you are all covered by this..... perhaps some stations just have basic business/charity insurance?

As I have a tight budget (don't we all?) I am trying to balance my insurance spend against risk. While libel damages can potentially be large (mainly due to legal costs), presumably the amount of times Community stations have been taken to court is zero or very low.

I'd be interested to read any info on libel cases against Community stations, and your advice on what amount of Professional Indemnity cover to pay for (and what your premium is)

I'll ask an interesting question about jingles next time, promise !

Dave
--
Dave Sharp
General Manager