[comradio-l] New FM transmitter

Radio Cracker Admin admin at radiocracker.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 13:32:47 GMT 2014

Hi Folks,

I help with a local charity radio station and we broadcast each year in
the 4 weeks prior to Christmas under an Ofcom S-RSL.

We currently use a Radica FM5 and FM50 linear amp to boost the output to
25W, but during our broadcast last month the FM50 tripped out with high
VSWR at least once a day. We're confident our aerial and cabling are
fine so our thinking is that, at over 20 years old, maybe it's time to
replace the Radica kit.

As a charity station we try to keep operating costs to a minimum so I'm
asking if anyone can recommend a low-cost FM transmitter of around 30W.
We have a PC running StereoTool so we don't necessarily need a
transmitter with in-built compression/limiting or RDS as StereoTool can
handle it.

I see cheap tranmitters on Ebay from China but I can't see these having
the CE mark that Ofcom insists on, though I'd welcome any comments on
these too.

Thanks
Neil.

Neil Jordan