[comradio-l] [cma-l] Digital Broadcasting: Radio Culture Media and Sport

tlr at gairloch.co.uk tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 13:16:06 GMT 2013

I just had another look through the Ofcom report on the small scale DAB
experiment as it had been a while since I first read it, and I notice that it
seems to envisage a much more pragmatic can-do approach to handling frequency
allocation and protection than the ultra-cautious approach that it currently
uses with FM.

I noted in particular these two paragraphs:

7.2 Spectrum Availability
While spectrum availability has not yet been extensively studied, it is likely
that frequency blocks could be identified in many areas for transmitters
radiating power levels in the order of 100 watts or so. In some locations it may
be possible to re-use existing DAB frequencies, in coastal regions it may be
possible to re-use the blocks of neighbouring countries and in others areas
there could be options within cleared PMR spectrum. In the majority of cases,
the low power services would need to accept higher than ideal levels of
interference that would limit their coverage areas and outgoing interference
would also need to beconstrained.

7.3 Service Planning
Once a target coverage area and frequency resource has been identified, it is
important to ensure that the opportunity for block re-use is optimised by
constraining unwanted overspill of coverage. One approach could be to draw a
polygon around the served urban areas and to draw a median line between adjacent
polygons. A field strength limit could then be placed on the lines. For example,
it might prove acceptable to place a limit so that the 1% time field strength
does not exceed ~40dBμV/m over a significant area beyond the lines between
co-block areas. There is also the option of planning coverage to overlap between
adjacent multiplex areas where contiguous coverage is desirable and where
different blocks are available to form a ‘lazy MFN’.